This is the post I almost didn't write.

This is the post I almost didn't write.

And before I can actually write it, let me put in a few disclaimers:

This is the life I know. This is not intended as a statement about the lives of others or of how lives should be or even of how my life will be tomorrow. This is right now, in my little house.

I sit long-ways on our rocking couch, the laptop topping my lap, my legs resting on the pile of yet-to-be-answered letters I dreamed would be considerably smaller by now, my feet hanging off the armrest on one side and my shoulders hanging over the other side.

The toy box is tipped on its side spilling out a conglomeration of toys, baby books, wooden spoons and other miscellaneous kitchen items that worked particularly well as distractions at some point during the last few days.

There is a basket of laundry that includes a load of clean, dry towels and clean, wet diapers.

The sink is full of dirty dishes, the drying rack is full of clean dishes, and the table is full of everything that was rescued at lower altitudes in the nick of time from the exploring fingers and tongue of all-terrain baby.

The windows open on my computer tell almost the same story. My work inbox is open, with three projects simultaneously in progress, but I'm not quite sure what became of the pen I was using for one of the projects. Did I take it with me outside when we moved baby and computer outside for a change of scenery? Did it get swallowed by the couch or swiped by the child?

I started planning for dinner at 11 this morning, but eight hours later, what was started has been stashed in the fridge and the new menu features popcorn, brownies, and fruit snacks.

Some days as a stay at home work at home mom, I feel like I am thirty minutes away from being AWESOME. Sprinkle thirty extra minutes in my day at about 11:30, and I would have a healthy lunch for me and everything prepped for dinner. Pry in thirty extra minutes at 4:00 and I'd have the dishes put away and the laundry folded. Half an hour at 5:00 and I wouldn't be in my baby-worn clothes with banana goop in my hair when a neighbor drops by to chat.

But most days, it would take a lot more than thirty magic minutes to get me even halfway to awesome.

Today, though, thirty magic minutes is just enough for a blog post.

Comments

Unknown said…
mmm..Brownies!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers