An Expensive Flower Press

I spent $200 at Amazon.com for a flower press.

That wasn't my intention, of course. I planned to read the books, base discussions on the books, maybe even dare myself to write in the books. But there is that old, annoying song it never felt right to sing in my family because of the number of teachers: "No more school, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks."

No more school.

No more school.

It doesn't get any easier to say. But sometimes learning important things in school drastically changes your life. And Tuesday's homework assignment was particularly instructive and so I withdrew from classes on Wednesday.

And now I have a $200 flower press.

Yes, I will try to return as much of it as I can. And maybe, after I whittle down the pile of books faithfully preserving the petals that escaped a life of potpourri, I will be reminded that Life in the Slowlane is really the best sort of life to be living.

Comments

Sylvia said…
So, I'm really curious...

What was Tuesday's homework assignment??
Vicki Carroll said…
"No more school", but it's only for a season. Witness other members of the fam who have gone back to school repeatedly, in their 30's, 40's and 50's. It is only for a time, while other things more urgent or important take center stage. =} With lots of love, me.
slowlane said…
A delayed response... but Tuesday's homework assignment was reading about the difference between formational reading and informational reading, and how often we push ourselves for the informational and forfeit the formational. A wee bit too convicting.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers