I Scream for Ice Cream

In the frozen food aisle, I was wishing I had thought to measure the dimensions of my freezer before heading out to shop. Like I mentioned before, SOS and I are living in a four bedroom house where the walk-in closet is larger than some rooms I've called home and the master bedroom suite is only slightly smaller than the entire square footage of the condo we hope to buy in the near future.

Needless to say, this house has more space than SOS and I know what to do with.

Everywhere, that is, but the fridge.

We have a mini-fridge, one of those kinds that has an itty-bitty cupboard of a freezer inside. And so that is why I stood with a box of ice cream in my hand, trying to guess whether it was equal or greater than the height of the box.

I succumbed.

I bought it, I brought it home, I opened the fridge door and the freezer flap, and thunk! it didn't fit.

But what sort of home can a house be if it doesn't have ice cream in the freezer?

So I carefully folded the cardboard ridge along the bottom so the box would be smaller, and thunk, thunk, no luck.

There may only be two pieces of furniture in the great big house, but certainly, there must be ice cream in the freezer.

Fortunately, we were given a plastic container that looked to be the perfect size to fit in the freezer, so I got it out, measured it against the freezer shelf, and began to repackage it. The good thing about spending so much time in the store deliberating about buying it was that the ice cream was quite soft and could be squished perfectly into the container (after a generous portion, that is.)

But newlywed containers are those fancy kinds where the lids are sturdy and thick and have special seals... which make it too big to allow the freezer flap to close far enough for the fridge door to seal.

Perhaps I needed to eat an even more generous portion?

But no, the key to problem solving is to try looking at it in another way. Like upside down. Flip the container and voila! Big side down, the flap nearly closes, door seals, and our house is one step closer to being a home.

Comments

Matthew Carroll said…
I feel your pain. In order to pack and leave for Brazil, we had to consolidate all the food in our fridge, which meant that we had to move lot's of stuff to the freezer which meant that I had to finish off our half gallon of ice cream in the freezer. Life can be tough that way sometimes.

But hey, if you need some fridge room, I know of a nearly empty one you could borrow for a month. :-)
caedmonstia said…
The good thing is, it sounds like by the time you had your generous portion, you had already burned all the calories from it in your vigorous attempts to make the rest of it fit in the freezer.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers