Department Store

Near the school where I am staying is a very large department store. I suspect that I might be able to get lost there for a week. I so far have only gotten lost for a few minutes at a time, but each time I go I only go to a small part of the store and then trace my way back, looking out for the cookie crumbs that my charge has dropped as he nibbles happily.

The very top floor is a grocery, and it is unlike any grocery store I have ever seen. On one end are fish tanks with all sorts of things you didn't know existed. In the middle are fruits and veggies and baked goods and then on the other far end are the packaged items like peanut oil, millet (One resaurant we went to offered Mullet Soup, that may be the only tasteful way to have a mullet.), crackers, and Oreos. I was looking for things that might appease my stomach, and while I made a few wise choices, I failed in one purchase.

I thought I was buying milk. It looked like it might be milk displayed on the outside. It said "dairy" as one of the two English words on the package and it had two smiling women.
Of course it has to be milk with packaging like that.

But, as you may have already guessed, being the clever audience that you are, it wasn't.
I think it may have been sweetened condensed milk or maybe it was just milky sweet something, but when I put the provided straw into the package and took a huge sip, I was greatly disappointed.

And it did nothing to appease my unhappy stomach.

Maybe I will have better luck next time.

Until then maybe I will just go back and find a nice, large Snickers bar.

Comments

It certainly sounds as though you are having an exciting time. My friend and I once tried to look cool and ordered at random from a menu in a Korean restaurant (in Atlanta). We poo-pooed the waiters advice to choose something more pleasing to non-Koreans. We should have listened because he was perfectly correct that iced noodles and really hot spicy sauce are rather strange and we had to force ourselves to eat almost everything to save face.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers