The One Hundred Fifteenth Day of Winter

Again it's snowing.

Okay, so maybe most people wouldn't notice. But white stuff is falling from the sky. Sometimes a flake or two will disappear mid-air, but far more make it all the way down.

Yesterday it was 65 degrees and sunny. Kite-flying weather, in fact, and we did just that.



Today is a different story.

Which brings me to a confession of sorts... I have never idled my vehicle as much as I have this winter. There were the days when I dared not bring the kids to the car until it had warmed up, the days when I dared not move the car until the engine tasted heat, and (now the confession) the days like today where the glorious magic of sleeping children in their car seats urges me to stay in the car long after we arrive at our destination.

Normally, I would just kill the engine. But that just isn't a wise idea when snowflakes have to think a minute before they melt on a windshield.

Now my defense: We're only driving an average of 50 to 100 miles a week instead of the 500-600 miles per week we drove while in California. That should get me enough emission reduction credits to allow for the occasional nap time in the idling car, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers