Bunny Love

My roommate has two bunnies. She likes to let them out of their cages to run around the front "yard", and they like it, too.

I think that one of the reasons they like to run around is that they get the opportunity to dig holes under the fence and so race off to bunny freedom.

I've tried to avoid any interaction with the neighbors on the issue of these rabbits. For one because, as you know, any hole under a fence has two sides. But also because I hesitate to know what the neighbors think about my roommate's attempts to recapture the bunnies.

When your only observation of a person is when they are running around, wielding a broom and alternating threats and coaxing words to a rabbit... Well, you can imagine.

But regardless of the numerous times we've had occassion to try to herd a lightening-greased rabbit, we still have two bunnies. And that is because of bunny love.

Pepper is a boy bunny and Jackie is a girl bunny. And because my roommate doesn't want Pepper and Jackie to... well, breed like rabbits, only one at a time is ever let out of a cage. And so while Pepper may take off to enjoy the thrill of racing the sun to the horizon or Jackie may disappear to sample the delicacies of greener pastures, they always return to huddle close to the cage of the other.

Sometimes I think I should give them classical names just so a ballad could be written about them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you have already written the ballad. I can almost hear the music! Love, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers