Friends

Early on someone gave me this tip to narrowing down a "much too large" wedding guest list:

Only invite people you have talked to in the last six months.

I think if I were to do this, I might end up with only ten friends at my wedding... and that would be a very lonely feeling indeed.

Well, I suppose I could invite the man who informed me that all of a certain central African country was mad at me (I heard from him the other day, he says that this is no reason why we cannot still be friends.) or maybe even the woman who braved the wire tap on her phone line to tell me that the mafia, the catholics, and the military were all thick together "if you get my meaning".

But friends I actually know who I have talked to in the last six months? Certainly not enough to justify getting much more than a wedding cupcake.

That is until in one moment of wedding planning procrastination I started a Facebook profile. And in four days I found 46 friends.

Yes, of course, it would be ridiculous to invite them all to the wedding, many of them I haven't seen in nearly fifteen years. But it is awfully nice to remember that after a quarter of a century of living, I have more than ten people I can invite to my wedding.

Comments

Vicki Carroll said…
Wait, wait! You get to invite relatives, too! And your church family, and people who love you no matter how long it's been since you talked to them! Doesn't emailing and I.M.ing count as talking?
Oh, wait, you were trying to cut a "too long" list? Define "too long".=)
(And the verification word reminds me of some far off friends, too, The Branks!)

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers