That's Funny!

Sometimes I think the air holds ideas just like it holds humidity. One day you wake up and find yourself just dripping with something you hadn't noticed before.

Yesterday I was caught by surprise to have two conversations on the very same topic with a five year old, who may not make it through highschool if she keeps to her socio-economic expectations, and a two year old, who probably won't stop short of a doctorate, if he keeps to his socio-economic expectations.

The topic of these conversations was humor.

They would present to me a scenario and then say "That's funny, huh." And I would be obliged to answer "yes" or "no, not really."

Humor is a strange thing to figure out. An infant may laugh endlessly about a clothes hanger dropping on the floor. A three year old thinks it is hilarious to hear someone talk with their nose plugged. A junior higher snickers about things better left in their knickers. And a middle aged man loves to twist in a pun.

Humor seems so elusive at times, yet ever so desireable. I remember the first successful joke I told and the elation I felt for having gotten people to laugh intentionally.

But here I am so many years later, wanting to edge over to someone and say "That's funny, huh."

Comments

Elena Johnston said…
Wanna hear my very first joke? I made it up all by myself on a family picnic when I was six.

What did the baby tree say to the other baby tree when the mommy tree laid an egg?

...

...

...

...

How strange!


Get it?

Neither do I.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers