A World Away

This weekend I spent some time in the interior of Brazil. Let me tell you, just in case you are unaware, it is a world away from my life in California.

In the small city of Gloria, I became the talk of the town during the two days I was there. That may perhaps become another post, but for now I would like to write of things that are similar between these two worlds: for now I speak of bathrooms.

In the big glass building I work in on the hill, the bathrooms are top of the line. Some tour guides have even wanted to include them in the authorized tour. But let me tell you how the bathrooms in Gloria match up point for point. (A indicates at work, B in the interior)

A) You don't need to worry about flushing the toilets: it is all automatic.
B) You don't need to worry about flushing the toilets: someone else will in another few hours, when there is sufficient water for the task.

A) You don't need to remember to turn on or off the light as you enter and exit the bathroom: also automatic.
B) You don't need to remember about the light: it comes in from the open window between the bathroom and kitchen, providing nice stage lighting for you and your audience.

A) A high-tech system of water reclamation keeps the water usage down.
B) A high-tech system of buckets, pots, pitchers, and tubs makes sure that every drop of water is used the maximum amount of times before allowed to flush the toilet or water the plants.

I know you must be equally impressed as I was to discover all of these similarities. But I assure you, I am a hundred times more thankful for the tour I received of the bathrooms in the interior than I have ever been for a tour of the bathrooms at work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers