Traveling

Addresses come in all shapes and sizes, and frequently I am driven to the internet to try and decipher where on earth I am sending a letter.

While I am on the general topic of addresses, I want to point out that addresses from the United Kingdom nearly always confuse me. The times that I have taken someone's scrawl to Royal Mail to have them help me, the address that eventually turns up is only two lines where as the address I put in was six lines. If anyone can help me understand this phenomenon, please let me know.

In the process of using White Pages and Google Maps and Zabasearch I typically come across the names of neighbors and near-by businesses and interstate routes and even "street views". This gives me ample opportunity to speculate on the names of streets and burgs and whether the weather is pleasant this time of year. Eventually I begin to wonder whether this person who wrote today knows the person who wrote three days ago since they live in the same city just down the street and around the corner from each other. And I wonder if maybe they also know the person who I know that lives in that city.

And then I begin humming "It's a Small World".

And eventually, eventually, I get around to answering the person's letter.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
I put something in the mail today. It was a semi-important document and a small not-very-exciting gift for my sister. Then I saw on the news that the postal workers are on strike. Again. So I should have sent my mail from somewhere else, most likely one of those places you travel to while looking for addresses. Anywhere but here...
slowlane said…
Maybe not. Someone came by my desk yesterday and asked if I had gotten a letter that their friend's relative had sent from Indonesia. Nothing.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers