The Important Thing...

I am issuing a general apology to everyone to whom I have previously said "Well, just remember that the important thing is that at the end of all of this crazy wedding planning, you will be married."

The reason I am issuing a general apology is that I am earnestly doing my best to suppress all memories of any specific instances where I said such an absurd thing.

Of course, the important thing is that I will be married to SOS, but there seem to be a great many other "the important things". Such as inviting people. Or finding a place to live. Or not forgetting to add oil to my car. Or paying my taxes.

I have heard this phrase a lot recently, and my mind conjures up the final scene in Walt Disney's version of Robin Hood where he and Maid Marian ride off in their carriage with everything Happily Ever After The End. I somehow suspect that the closing credits would not roll with such a sense of good will and happiness toward all if you could have seen Maid Marian stuffing her W2s and itemized tax deductions into her bag as she raced out the door in her elegant pointed-ear veil. But I guess that is what her sweetheart had spent his efforts fighting.

The important thing is that in 68 days I will be married. Anyone want to do my taxes?

Comments

Sylvia said…
Bring your info... Steve can show you his nifty program and it can all get done the week of the shower. Before the wedding!!!
caedmonstia said…
I think you're right about that particular advice. Anyone who implies that all your problems will dissolve when you say "I do" has either never been married or is delusional (I say that in a cheerful, happily-married sort of way). My preferred version of the advice you mentioned refers only to the wedding itself, not to the taxes or car maintenance or whatever else. "Remember that if the bride and groom end up married at the end, then the wedding was a success". And one year after my wedding, I still heartily agree with that. It doesn't what kind of cake I had, or what people were wearing, or whether I had little wedding favors to give out or not. It matters that even after the acute crankiness induced by my astronomical stress level, my husband still said "I do" to me instead of running out the door in a panic, in search of someone a little more even-keeled.

So take up Sylvia's offer for help with your taxes (it will help in staving off the crankiness). Ask for help in choosing your pointy-eared veil. And don't forget to sit and just breathe sometimes.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers