Baggage

My sister always tells me the nicest things. Today she told me how impressed she was by how lightly we were able to pack. We tried, but traveling with a baby requires a different definition of packing lightly. If not for the three weeks worth of diapers and everything a baby might need in the middle of the night while confined to a train, then certainly the size of wardrobe a baby requires. And I don't mean just baby clothes.

When SOS mentioned our plans to someone, she passed along this bit of wisdom for me, his wife: "Remember, you are going to see the country, the country is not coming to see you."
The point being to not worry about how fashionable I would be and to pack accordingly. That is good advice if we didn't intend to act on another piece of advice given by many: "Take lots of pictures!"

For instance, if it were just me traveling, just give me some Febreeze and I wouldn't mind wearing the same things days on end. Nobody who wasn't standing right next to me would know any better. But in the comparatively brief time of travel our very first day, CutieBabyBoy employed my shirt as a napkin for banana fingers and cracker goo lips, a tissue for his runny nose, a teething toy and a pacifier. My jeans were similarly abused. And from past experience I know that there are so many other possibilities: Burp rag, first line of defense on a malfunctioning diaper, belaying handholds, the list goes on.

While I am a realistic mom and know that my clothes will never last more than a few seconds in close proximity to child without showing evidence of it, I would like to insure that most days I do get at least those very few moments. And maybe have a nice picture every so often.

And then there are the three weeks worth of train time snacks and sack dinners and lunches. Needless to say, that as SOS and I were hauling the 50 pound suitcase, the 40 pound duffel, the car seat, umbrella stroller, 35 pound rolling cooler, 20 backpack, 15 pound purse(!), and 20 pound baby, "packing light" was not our lasting impression.

The good news is, though, that as we travel, our load will get lighter. Maybe with all the schlepping, we will, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers