Death at the Worm Farm

Women are supposed to be nurturers. If that is so, how come I have a long line of accidental deaths behind me?

The impossible to kill plants, which I so easily killed.
The scores of fish who lived longer when I didn't look after them.
The koi I pet sat, two of whom ended up in the freezer.

And the most recent tragedy. Today I found a worm from our worm farm, squished because of my neglegence. Poor thing. It didn't even have a chance to fight back.

We used to have 500 worms, give or take a few, and because of me we now only have 499 worms, give or take a few.

So today, be good to a worm for my sake.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
Inspired by the death of our Comrade the worm, I wanted to post an old favorite by a person I know well:

Ode to a Sojourner Snail

Little snail in my path
You come and go in trails of goo
But when I join you on your jaunts,
How oft I find you on my shoe!

How oft I hear a sick'ning crack
While saunt'ring in the Autumn rains,
and, looking down upon my sole,
How oft I'm faced with your remains!
caedmonstia said…
P.S. I have killed a lot of house-sitting pets in my career as a house-sitter, but none of them ended up in the freezer. That truly takes talent. I'll never forget the woman who left me in charge of the two loves of her life -- both of them cats. One of them bolted as soon as I arrived, and never returned. The second one was notably droopy when I arrived, and I knew something had gone awry when he did a face plant into his food dish and stayed there. He died. The lady never asked my to housesit for her again, even though she didn't have any cats for me to take care of anymore.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers