What's in a name?

In dealing with international correspondence, the question is "What isn't in a name?"

I wish for the sake of clarity that I could give you examples of the names (or not names, as the case may be) I deal with, but we will just have to do with close approximations.

Sincerely, Pastor PIPA POKA Jean Nuthmug O.

Now, if you were going to address a letter to this ficticious person which of the following would you choose?

Dear Sir
Dear Madam
Dear Pastor Jean
Dear Pastor Nuthmug
Dear Pastor O.
Dear Jean Nuthmug
Dear Pastor PIPA POKA Jean Nuthmug O.

Or some other variation?

Now what would happen if the next letter you got from this person was signed
Brother P.P. Nuthmug Jean?

I would feel like perhaps I was a hopeless ignoramous, except that many of those writing to us have similar problems. It is rather entertaining to see what they perceive our names to be. I thought that perhaps by using only one name, I would make things easier, but alas, it is not to be. Today I may be Brother and tomorrow I may be from the clan of Agoura Hills.

Comments

lasselanta said…
I can give a fairly good guess as to the continent this person is from. :-) I could be wrong, but this looks really familiar...

In case it helps... in Cameroon, at least, there is no one right way to address people. Everyone has a formal name, a "country name," a family name, and often a nickname or three. These are mixed up in different orders (often family name first, but not always) and the more names you use in addressing a person in writing, the more formal you are.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers