She flies through the air with the greatest of ease

I wonder how the trapeze artist feels the first time she lets go of the trapeze. How long do those seconds seem when she has not yet caught herself on another swing?

Has she memorized the distance down to the net, or does she ignore it altogether?

Does she begin to worry about the sweat forming on her palms?

Does she begin to think that it would have been thrill enough to fly back and forth, never letting go of one swing to claim another?

I've never attempted any daring moves on a trapeze, but as I pack my belongings for a move to who-knows-where, I begin to suspect that the trapeze artist would scoff at the phrase "with the greatest of ease."

Comments

Unknown said…
Where are you moving?? To another apartment? Another city? Another job? Or did I misinterpret altogether...

Will we see you at a wedding this weekend???
Vicki Carroll said…
Does this mean that "we're" moving?
Matthew Carroll said…
Trouble at home?
slowlane said…
Yes, trouble at home, yes I am moving out of my 9x10 room, I might end up technically moving to another city, but between now and the eventual "new home", I will spend time living in four different cities, even though my job continues as is. Me and my suitcase will be well acquainted.

And Sylvia, I plan to see you at the wedding this weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers