In defense of weddings

This year I seem to be hearing and reading lots of tirades about what a wedding consists of. I've read reasons why engagement rings are bad, why food at weddings is horrible, how a bad case of Bridezilla-itis might mean the groom should run, why conspicuous consumption has ruined a sacred institution. I've heard reasons why no guest should be invited unless they are likely to bring a gift worth $50 or more, 60 billion reasons (give or take a few) that elopement is the way to go, and parents console each other through the most stressful year of their life... planning a wedding.

Dare I mention the other frequent complaints? Single women who are guilted into half-heartedly fetching a bouquet... family members who stand up to give a toast and cause the entire guest list to squirm... and waiting forever for the party to start when you really wanted to leave half an hour ago.

I know you've collected your own version of this list, but I would, in the face of this colossal tide, offer up a small defense of weddings.

A) They're pretty.
B) You get to see happy people.
C) It's a party.

Doesn't that tip the balance?

So maybe weddings have gotten a little out of hand, but when the air of the bride and groom is "I'm happy, ever so happy, but it would make me even more happy if you could come and be happy with me" well, then, it seems like a good investment.

Comments

sarah marie said…
My wedding was sorta like a big concert woven through a marriage ceremony in a beautiful cathedral. We had a 75-voice choir, four violins, a viola, cello, double bass, two french horns, two trombones, a wonderful organist, and various other musical things. And at the reception, our friends jammed wonderful jazz classics. We didn't toss the bouquet, remove the garter (I didn't even wear one!), or even (gasp) have dancing. But we're still hearing about what a good time everyone had! :) Happiness is a great thing, and it's nice when people want to share it with you.
I agree - yay for weddings, especially happy ones.

Although I have to admit that navigating a wedding as a single girl was a heck of a lot easier than navigating one as a bridesmatron with two children, one of them nursing. Now THAT is a logistical problem! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers