I am not a hobo.

I have to admit that sometimes I am very hesitant to talk about my life on the move.

Sitting at my desk, smiling to the tour groups passing by, I don't want them to even suspect that I have not ironed my clothes in a month because I made the logistical error of packing my iron.

Or, in the kitchen at work I don't want people to realize that my bagged "lunch" actually is all of my perishable food hanging out between house sitting assignments.

And yes, I am embarrassed about the motley assortment of items filling my back seat.

I expressed this to one of my co-workers and she asked me why. "It's not like you are a hobo."

No, I am not a hobo, but there isn't very much difference between an adventurer and a hobo.

I thought of this again this morning, as I tried to figure out how to make the shower work. I adjusted the water coming out of the bathtub spigot to the perfect temperature and then began my search for the nob that would direct the water out the shower head, but to no avail. I'm fairly certain that one of the key differences between a nomad that people like to be next to and those they don't is the difference a shower makes.

But I realize that if you are on an adventure and cannot smell nice, you had better come up with some great stories to keep people from fleeing, and this house has provided many of them.

And wouldn't you know it? One of the people I stopped to tell of my adventures actually knew how to solve the riddle of the shower! (Thanks, Christine!) And so now that I know how to manage a good shower in this house, there will be less need of adventure.

We can hope, right Gracie and Lily?

Comments

Unknown said…
Many a guest of our home can sympathize with your search for the shower nob...I'm glad my hunch was right!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers