Island Fruit

One of the best parts of having a tropical vacation is the fruit. And our house has banana trees, a pomegranate bush, coconut palms, and a number of other things that are out of season. We also have been able to purchase inexpensive local starfruit and crisp apples shipped in from New Zealand.  All this is especially beneficial as vegetables are more expensive than I've seen anywhere else.  Carrots are reasonable, but a pound of broccoli costs about $15.  Other veggies are priced similarly. I figure we can catch up on veggies when we get back to the U.S. Until then, carrots and fruit are the order of the day.

Two things I have learned:

1) I now understand those people who think it is insane to chew and swallow pomegranate seeds. The seeds in these pomegranates are the hardest, and largest seeds I have ever seen. They seriously could damage both your teeth and your insides. Like I said, CutieBabyBoy's insides certainly did not appreciate them.

Pomegranate Bush

2) I think there are few things better than bananas ripened on the tree. I also think that the extra time on the tree makes them less starchy and more moist and so do not have the same affect on intestinal tracts as bananas cut and shipped green. Which is good, because CutieBabyBoy has been inhaling them and SOS and I eat them as quickly as they ripen.  And when that isn't fast enough, we buy them by the handfuls and eat them that way, too.

"Our" bananas.  Look at all of those bananas I won't be able to eat before we leave! So sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers