Auntie Kim

I found this in my unpublished drafts from about three years ago. I think perhaps a heavy feeling of guilt kept me from posting the story. Fortunately for my efforts to arrive at 30 posts in 30 days, the guilt has moved on.

My bathroom is beautiful, thank you (in part) to Auntie Kim.

I've never actually met Auntie Kim. Some time ago in the midst of SOS investigating options for making our small little house the castle of my dreams, he came across a store where doors and windows are taken very seriously. They have one person solely in charge of hardware for these items, and she thinks of these things as bling for the home. With good reason.

SOS of course fell in love with the place and visited a couple times before he was able to take me during open hours. And we found the perfect knobs for our bathroom cupboards. Unfortunately, the lady in charge of these things was out of the store and no one else could tell us how much they cost.


A few more visits later, and finally, everyone was there at the same time: SOS, me, and the lady. Except suddenly the lady was talking about Auntie Kim and how if we were nice to her we would get a good discount on the list price.

Which was good, since I was choking on the price and thinking that maybe I didn't really need nobs to pull open my cupboards. So if Auntie Kim, who sounded as if she were the one to place the final order with the manufacturer, was in the habit of handing out discounts, all good by us.

Only on our way out the store, with order placed, did it occur to us that perhaps we had been confused for someone else and Auntie Kim wasn't merely an aunt-like figure everyone nicknamed as such, but rather a real aunt with a real nephew who looked kind of like SOS and who was going to be very bummed when he learned that his family discount had just been given to someone else. I guess he will just have to be really, really, really nice to Auntie Kim.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers