The Fifty-Third Day of Winter

Today I stayed home all day in my pajamas and watched the snow.

After Fifty-Three Days of winter, I think I can believe that English should have 32 different words for snow. Saturday's snow was powdered sugar small, dusting everything like french toast in a consistent, purposeful few hours. Today's snow drifted lazily, as if it had no where it needed to be. One minute flurries would chase one direction, the next they would turn and stroll the other. Like pedestrians walking on a busy sidewalk -- some meandered, some rushed.

After dark, when the snow had nearly stopped altogether, SOS urged me outside to show me this phenomenon.


Have you ever seen dandelion fluff snow? Later that evening I went outside to bring up some laundry and the outside air demanded I take a moment to enjoy it. Two degrees and freshly fallen snow, such a time for a walk! The dandelion fluff is made up of enormous flat crystals that catch any light and shine it in a hundred different ways. I imagine that this is what the inventor of glitter had in mind before the horrible truth of glitter's actual properties came to light.

Before I came inside, I stopped at our car and puffed the dandelion fluff off the windows, watching it scatter in the wind. I may or may not have gotten a wee bit lightheaded in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers