Salutations

Hello.

I've recently begun to notice that I see several common sayings as salutations and not for the meanings the words denote. Part of this realization is due to overhearing a conversation where the manager scolded the cashier for saying "How are you?" before "Hi" or "Hello."

I don't think there is too much trouble with "How are you?" replacing "Hello" because eventually, if someone really wants to know, it is asked a second time a little bit later in the dialog. I seem to be having more trouble with leave takings when people say "Have a good day" or "Thank you" or any variation on those and my response is "I'll see you later."

Not only have I not wished them a good day in return nor thanked them nor even told them "You're welcome" but perhaps I am telling a perfect stranger that I will see them later when I have no intent of ever seeing them ever again.

This language is tricky stuff, I think.

Take care, have a good day, thank you, and good bye.

Comments

The most confusing greeting for me is 'What's up?' I still do not know how one is supposed to answer this. Clearly, if something was up, I wouldn't be standing around chatting. and if the greeter is concerned that something truly is up, why does she not give me time to answer?

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers