I have not fallen off the end of the world

Although it may seem like it.

There is no Walmart, no Target, no discount food place, no gas station away from the freeway (Except for one that I am not sure if it is possible to only get gas there. It seems like once you commit yourself, you are in for a car wash.), and I can't find any malls.

I really have wondered if I was nearing the end of the known world during my time here. I went in search of a gas station on what I thought was a major road and as I started climbing up a hill I suddenly realized that there was no place to turn around and then I was going through several tunnels and then I was in a world where I couldn't see what lay on the other side of the road. I went from a sunny day to fog swirling in cold flurries. Eventually I found myself in the make-believe land of Malibu where I managed to turn around and come back.

But no, I have not spent all of my time in fruitless search. Yesterday I happened upon a most happy secret that has now made me the envy of everyone I have mentioned it to.

I found a path! This path makes it possible for me to walk to work in only four more minutes than it takes for me to drive.

So yes, I may have failed in finding inexpensive food, gas, clothing, and toiletries, but I have found the rarest thing in all of LA county... a short, walkable commute.

Perhaps there is still room in the Slowlane for one such as I.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
I am glad you ended up in Malibu and not where I ended up once when that happened to me. I ended up in a scary deserted rest-stop where the bathroom had no doors and some creepy men were lurking...
Damian said…
We'd love to have you over for dinner when you get settled! Call us.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers