Let there be light

Growing up it was of my opinion that any room that was equipped with electricity was also equipped with a light fixture. Yes, perhaps the fixture was really only a light socket hanging from the middle of the room with no lamp shade and only a pull cord, but there was light.

But now I realize that most rooms (especially bedrooms) usually are NOT equipped with a light fixture even though there are light sockets.

And suddenly things are so complicated.

The socket furthest away from my doorway is opperated by a switch near the doorway. That corner happens to be the only one where the bed fits. Bedside lamps kind of defeat the purpose of their existence if they must be operated by a switch near the door. I also, naturally, want my alarmclock near my bed. And alarmclocks do not function well when opperated by a switch. Niether do computers. Or phone chargers.

Yes, being able to turn on a light at the flip of the switch is wonderful, but I'm hoping that I don't trip on the criss-crossing cords once I've turned it off.

Comments

Chris said…
Get a lamp that has its own switch. Keep it plugged in and let the switch across the room stay on...turn the lamp on or off at the source.
slowlane said…
But then I have to walk across my dark room to turn it on when I come in at night.
Chris said…
ah-ha. No, not really. In the morning, leave it on at the source and turn it off at the switch as you leave. Then, when you come in at night, you flip the switch and it comes back on. Presto!

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers