Be not a complainer or Do it Yourself

A week or so ago, I had one of those days where I was in my element, happily zoned writing letters. When this happens, I frequently pull out my footstool that is the envy of the entire workspace, lean back in my snazzy chair which moves in more directions than I thought there were dimensions, and pull my wireless keyboard out onto my lap.

I suspect that there are not very many people who manage to pull off this level of comfort in the middle of their cubicle. Mostly I suspect this because of the number of people who stop to comment.

And, as you know, I am envied for the footstool. But I was very eager to help one co-worker come close to the comfort available, and I urged her to consider asking IT (Information Technology) for a wireless keyboard.

Just then Mr. IT himself walked by, commented on my keyboard in my lap... and it was the pefect oportunity to suggest a wireless keyboard for the co-worker standing by.

"We don't give those out any more."
"But I know you have one... there used to be one at my supervisor's desk, and she wanted a corded keyboard... you must have one somewhere."

Now gentle readers, let me tell you that it is not a wise choice to argue with IT. Mr. IT, with his best "this is the way it is and you better deal with it" voice relayed that the reason they didn't give out wireless keyboards anymore was because when the batteries died, people assumed there was something wrong and went complaining to him to fix it... which he promptly did by exchanging it with a corded keyboard.

I, being the smart person that I am, assured him that I was not complaining and would not be complaining nor would I ever think of some day in the future complaining. I think this especially wise since the only reason I have my wireless keyboard to begin with is because I managed to accomplish the switch without his knowledge.

However, this entire exchange makes me very leery of ever asking him to fix something... next thing I know I may be back to writing letters on stone tablets.

Comments

Matthew Carroll said…
Mmmm, yes. I once had a friend in IT, and life was good. Then he moved.

So I approached a new person who I thought would be my friend in IT... and I got the smack-down from all the way up top.

Well, there is a new day in IT, and a brand new head of the department... so I'm already planning my new approach.

See, part success in life is outliving your antagonists.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers