Laundry

When one is busy and must cart laundry a fair distance to use a laundromat, it makes sense to save up several loads worth. (Usually this results in doing you laundry in your "laundry day outfit" which consists of anything you would be mortified to be caught wearing by anyone you know.)

However, when one is not overly busy, has no need to cart laundry a fair distance to the single washer and dryer in house, it makes absolutely no sense to save up several loads worth to do all at once.

But herein lies a problem.

How do you manage to wash colors with like colors when you only have a week's worth of laundry?

I have been musing on this difficulty for some time and I have arrived at a few solutions.

1) Make your wardrobe all of one color. This works especially well with black or grey.

2) Wear like colored clothing all week long. Thus, after a week of wearing "gentle, light colors" you could wash those and move on to "denim, dark colors in warm wash."

3) Give up caring about sorted laundry and go for that pink/ dingy white/ faded dark look that everyone envies.

4) Go to washing everything by hand.

5) Wait to wash everything until you are down to your favorite "laundry day" outfit and then hope that no one you know comes to the door.

So um... I think I am going to be... SICK a week from tomorrow. Please do NOT come to visit me, do NOT come and knock at my door with a camera. I will be contagiously ill and will be quarantined to the laundry room all day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Poisnaly, I go for idea #1. I make all my wardrobe khaki olive green. That way I can throw all my shirts, slacks and boxers in the same load with a couple black socks (which never get dirty) and call it done. Of course, in my wardrobe you can find the intersection of idea #1 and idea #5 for I have a week's worth of khaki threads and then I'm down to running around in my khaki swim trunks while I run the wash.
Anonymous said…
Polyester is a good option laundry-wise. It is uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather when it lends the effect of wearing plastics bags on one's body. However, it rarely shrinks, streches, fades, gets linty, etc. -- all the thigns that cotton does. That is the miracle of plastic.

As for colors, I recommend black as the singular wardrobe color. Unless you have white cats. As for pets, I recommend turtles. As for music videos, I highly recommend Johnny Cash's version of the Nine Inch Nails song, "Hurt". I say hands down, Johnny's version blows the Nine Inch Nails original out of the water.

As for marriage, I recommend waiting a long time. Live it up, all you single women out there! And men too! After marriage and kids, the laundry situation only gets worse!

And for Presidents, I recommend not Bush. I don't know who else is running, but they are a much better choice. That's all I have to say about that.
slowlane said…
I guess there is also the option of using Febreeze. While I am fairly certain that using only Febreeze will insure that you remain single for a very long time, I am not sure what it will do on the political landscape.
caedmonstia said…
In Brazil, we take 3-5 showers a day, and we use a product called "Triphasic Oil". It sounds like some sort of liquid weapon from Star Trek, but it is actually a body deoderant. You put it all over yourself and you smell like a fruit. In my case Maracujá, but there are other fruits you can choose to smell like.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers