Forgive me, Mrs. Simonic

When I was in third grade I rebelled.

I got sick and tired of tracing letters on a page, because I knew how to draw my letters, and it was so terribly boring to follow the tiny arrows up, around, in, and down. Sure, I never managed to copy the line exactly, because after all, I never colored in the lines, but close was good enough, right?

Now I have great respect for those who teach hand-writing.

There are days when I can't decide whether a letter is an A, P, T, S or G... times when I hold the letter at every angle possible to see if I can just manage to make out whether a particular word has seven letters or three... letters that we pass around the department, each person contributing the decoding of a handful of words.

There are some words that never rise from obscurity to convey the meaning locked inside.

When it comes to hand-writing, boring is just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers