Arranged

Eight months ago a cousin of mine scooted next to me at a family party and scolded "Don't you know it's a bad idea to let the family know your boyfriend plays an instrument before you've decided this thing is for real?" I probably should have known better. Relationships come and go, but music...

Three months ago, SOS found time to come play in the itty-bitty chapel at work, where the acoustics make even the worst vocal rendition of "Amazing Grace" sound amazing and the best musician can transport people in every corner of the building into the finest of concert halls. My boss came striding towards my desk and informed me "I'm sorry, you no longer have any say in the matter. You must marry that man just so he will come play here more often." This sentiment was repeated by various others of my co-workers, as they frequently asked when our next date night was so that he could drop by and give a concert, "tell him we miss him" or "when do we get to see him again?"

The receptionists were no better "So when are you getting married?" Or, at the close of the day, "Good-bye, get out of here, you need to go get married."

Even my pastor yelled from the pulpit "It's time to stop dating and get married!" He usually managed to add on that he meant it only in the sense of "dating the church" in not going through membership classes, but every week that he shouted it, I jumped nervously and wondered if he noticed.

Is there something about me that doesn't breed subtlety in my friends? Or is there a resurgence in the attractiveness of arranging marriages (as long as you get to do the arranging)?

Comments

"Good-bye, get out of here, you need to go get married."

I love this. Just love it.
Vicki Carroll said…
Just remember that your parental units have patiently NOT pushed, prodded, or arranged. We are very happy for you, and hope all those other people only make you smile when they try to exert pressure on you both. Safe Haven!

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers