The Raisin Bran Incident

As everybody knows, the best way to get over an embarrassing incident is to announce it to the world. And so I will tell you all the story of the Raisin Bran Incident.

In everybody's life there are those days were the easiest thing to fix for dinner is the same thing you manage to fix when your greatest accomplishment of the day has been to get out of bed.

And so it happened that a few short weeks ago, after a day and a half's worth of work in the preceding 9 hours, I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a half a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal.

I say only a half a bowl because that is all I had left.

And I say Raisin Bran because I was too tired to reach further back into my pantry space for Honey Bunches of Oats. And isn't Raisin Bran a more likely dinner food than Honey Bunches of Oats? (Stay with me.)

And then, into my step-by-step plodding, intruded my landlady, "You are eating Raisin Bran for dinner? You are welcome to share the pot-roast I made."

But by then I had already thrown away the empty cereal box and I had no further problem solving capabilities for the day. And so, to the utter amazement of my audience, I took my half-bowl of dinner cereal and ate it, then retired to bed.

In the days and weeks since then, this incident has frequently come up in conversation. The best explanation I have been able to give is that I need advance notification for difficult decisions such as that one.

Which explains the note left on the table this morning for me:

Dear ___,
If you have no better offer(s), I would enjoy your company at dinner tonight. The menu:
Mexican Chicken
Salad w/ Avocado
Rice
Beans
Tortillas
Dessert: Raisin Bran a la Mode

Comments

caedmonstia said…
If I could get an invitation to eat Mexican food just by eating some raisin bran for dinner, I would surely do it! Once a week even! Lately my husband has witnessed me eating ramen noodles for almost every meal, but the only invitation I have gotten is, "Hey can you serve some for me too?"
Vicki Carroll said…
Ooooooh! I'm so sorry! You and Du and Biuks are all invited to my house for a Mexican dinner any time you can get here! If I thought I could package it up and get it to you all, I would!
And I hope Slowlane was able to accept the invitation! =)

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers