Burgundy

Last night my granny car was used by the police.

As I sat on the curb half a block away and watched four policemen, in full armor (even a few in those funny space-ship hats) crouch in front of my burgundy car, I kept thinking "At least it's clean."

I have my SOS (Remember? Significant Other, Sweetheart) to thank for that. Otherwise the windshield probably would have been more of a hindrance than a help.

A split second decision as to whether to park my car on one side of the driveway rather than the other determined whether it would provide good coverage for the police or not. And at least I had cleaned out most of the junk a very short hour before the police informed us we needed to evacuate the house.

Sitting on the curb as a police helicopter circles above and police cars creep closer and closer to the suspect... but no closer than the burgundy granny car... as a party of curious passersby slow and stop to ask questions and speculate... amidst all of this I find many things to be thankful for.

At least I wasn't in my pajamas.

Comments

Matthew Carroll said…
Ooh, so what happened?

At least give us some googleable key word hints!
Perhaps I'm missing something crucial, but if the police found it necessary to use your car as cover, just WHY did they also think it was a good idea to have everyone come out of the building and sit on the curb???
Vicki Carroll said…
when did THIS happen???? We talked with you til 9:30!
slowlane said…
Mom, the police came to our door less than ten minutes after I hung up the phone with you guys. The fact that I had been on the phone explains both why I had cleaned the junk out of my car and why I wasn't yet in my pajamas.

I'm not sure that it will appear in any news broadcasts or papers... and I think my car is big enough that the police figured everyone in back of it would be okay. Actually, the way the street curves, I think they weren't as worried about us at the bottom of the hill.

They had news that someone had barricaded himself in the house with multiple weapons... but no weapons were fired.
caedmonstia said…
Well, here's to nice big burgundy cars. Have you seen Hancock? Maybe your story is a little like that one.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers