Celebration!

So this week my roommates are gone. That means I finally get to do something that I've been wanting to do almost since the very first week that I moved in.

I get to buy a watermelon.

Now perhaps you think that there was no need to wait until my roommates left for me to do this, but I tell you it's true. When your refrigerator space consists of a short shelf, a narrow drawer, and some door space, buying a watermelon just isn't practical.

Especially when you are the only one that will be eating it.

Now granted, I could have bought myself a "personal sized watermelon" but I think it violates all moral principles to pay $3.99 a pound for a watermelon.

Or, I could go with the other option of eating an entire watermelon by myself without the aid of refrigeration.

I tried that once. Without plastic wrap. In the heat and flies of China.

I wouldn't recommend it to those who only have a passing fondness for watermelon. Because truth be told, by the time you get to the end, your fondness will have passed.

But when you've spent an entire summer thinking about the sweet juiciness of a ripe watermelon, when you've plotted and planned for methods to enjoy summer's true treat, having space in your fridge to chill your melon is cause for celebration.

Comments

Brian said…
In Italy,during our 1976 road trip, we foolishly bought a watermelon, and then drove all that day and the next before arriving at a hotel, which didn't have refrigeration, either. I remember trying to slice it in tiny enough pieces to dispose of it, one flush at a time. In those days, however, we did not have blogs so that we could instantly turn bad experiences into good blogbait. That is why you are getting this story now.
Anonymous said…
Would it have been feasible for you to have bought the watermelon, immediately cut and cubed it upon getting it back to the flat, and put all the pieces in a long, low piece of tupperware that would have fit on the shelf? Granted, this greatly reduces the tactile pleasure of holding the watermelon by the rind when eating it, but it might be way more functonal.
slowlane said…
For some reason, pre-cut, cubed watermelon just doesn't hold the same pleasure as it does off the rind. I think part of the pleasure is knowing where in the watermelon the piece came from so you can evaluate it based on its proximity to the core or the rind.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers