Holiday Greetings

For those of you who are blissfully unaware, Christmas is less than two months away.

I've already participated in sending Christmas greetings to 30 people. I probably have another 20 or so, and then I get to move on to people I know.

Which of course is another dilemma.

This year is perhaps the first year when it makes sense for me to send out the traditional holiday greeting. Of course every year it is wonderful to get excited at the Christmas season and do your very best to express in words, that cannot possibly suffice, the incredible truth of Christmas, but usually the traditional holiday greeting serves an entirely different purpose.

It says, in varying degrees of transparency, "Here I am. I'm still alive. And I want you to know that I'm still alive. And I want you to remember me. And I'd like to know you're still alive, too."

I find this particularly necessary this year because after moving to a corner of the world that I didn't even know existed until I landed here, I'd like to let other people know that this place actually exists. And that I'm alive.

But as you may know, Christmas cards require writing letters or greetings or some witty story or a status report on how many ballet trophies were won or dog bones buried.

But this year I have had a serious dearth of ballet bones or dog recitals and an excess of words.

Really, if it weren't for the small detail that I like words, I'd sing along with Eliza Doolittle "Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words!" Because every time I think that I should sit down and write a little greeting to everyone who I want to remind I'm alive, I feel like I should check to see if it is quitting time so that I can go home.

So if you don't happen to get a Christmas greeting from me, it isn't that I want you to forget that I'm alive, it is just that I think I may have used up all of my words until 2010.

Comments

lasselanta said…
This would indeed be a sad thing for readers of your blog.

But maybe virtual words don't count?

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers