Epiphany

I realized today why Californians are so much more open with strangers than say... New Englanders. Perhaps I can illustrate how it has come to be.

What is the best topic to bring up with a stranger?

The weather.

A person who lives in a place that gets weather actually has a topic that can last for some time. Californians, however, usually cannot.

Thus, Californians desperate to think of some other topic besides weather, say something about the thing that is always on their minds: Themselves. And over time, this has become so normal that it isn't unusual to be told by an utter stranger their sordid history of health, marital, or emotional problems.

"Whew! It's hot out there!" "It sure is. It reminds me of the time that I had warts all over my knees and my mom made me walk around with plastic wrap over them so that they wouldn't spread."

Comments

caedmonstia said…
Where I come from the first appropriate topic of conversation is the weather. The second is urinary tract infections or birth control methods. The third is gossip about soap opera characters, and the fourth is gossip about real people.

It is important to note, however, that you musn't bring up lice or scabies. Those are an obvious no-no.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers