Greeting Card Trouble

So for homework this week, I am supposed to create greeting card ideas from idioms.

One example I was given was: Happy are the flexible for they shall never be bent out of shape. (This was written by the great Sandra M. Louden.)

But I seem to be having some trouble with a few of the idioms.
Take "speaking out of both sides of one's mouth" for example.

Um...

Outside: You'll be speaking out of both sides of your mouth in no time.
Inside: Wishing you a speedy recovery from your stroke.

What do you think?

or "Lending an ear"

Outside: visual of Van Gogh
Inside: Thanks for lending me your ear.

So, you see... I am having some greeting card trouble.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
I think the second one is AWESOME!

You're right about the first one, though, it might not sell too well.

I always remember my wise father, who wrote to my best friend suffering from a kidney stone, "This too shall pass."

Of course there are many dangers to avoid in using idioms. I hesitate to think, for instance, of a greeting card using the saying "bossom buddies". (Of course I don't hesitate to think of it as much as you do).

But good luck! You're on the right track.
Matthew Carroll said…
How 'bout somthing along these lines...
OUTSIDE: Show me a man who speaks out both sides of his mouth...
INSIDE: And I'll show you a politician who's channel-surfing his Teleprompters.

Or!

OUTSIDE: Please forgive me for speaking out both sides of my mouth...
INSIDE: I'm still learning to turn off the other cheek.
Elena Johnston said…
The first one was a stroke of genius!
Joi said…
The first one is hilarious, but might bring advocacy groups down on you.

The second, however, is really REALLY funny!
slowlane said…
Well, the official verdict from my professor is that the one having to do with strokes was too narrow, there not being that many people who have strokes. And regarding the one with Van Gogh, she sold the exact same line to a card company several years ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers