Nouveau Granny

Today I read that nouveau granny is in.

I like to sit here and think about all that could possibly mean.

Think "nouveau".

Now think "granny".

Now I wonder, can grannies be nouveau? Or is this just another instance of youth walking into the closets of our elders and saying "You know, this could be totally cool if you took this off and changed this to bright blue and added glittery things and if you wore it so that you showed off your... no cancel that. It would be cool if I wore it to show off my..."

So for the entire three weeks that nouveau granny is in, grandmothers will wonder why they can't find any of their favorite things in stock. Then in a year, when their grandchildren are getting ready to take a box of clothes to good will, Grandma will say "Why are you giving this away? It is still brand new! Here, let me take it." And then her grandchildren will die a slow death of mortification everytime they think of Grandma wearing what they once thought to be so cool.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
Again, I think I'd like a picture.

Hey let me know if 'nouveau cuts-off-circulation-to-your-extremities' comes in. Or maybe that would be called 'shabby tourniquet'. Anyway, if that day comes, I can hook you up with a whole wardrobe. And I'll trade you for your obsolete granny-wear and maybe I'll finally be comfortable.
slowlane said…
A discription of nouveau granny (fromwww.thestate.com/mld/thestate/ 2004/10/07/living/9851963.htm):

Ann Taylor is one of many retail outlets embracing a nouveau granny aesthetic. Demure, modest retro-glam comes across in fuzzy twin sets and shrugs, A-line skirts, pastel woolens, deep velvets, trench and pea coats, corduroy, faux furs and tasteful animal prints.

Embellishments and details go with all that texture, as if the fashionistas have just escaped from a mandatory-T-shirt-and-jeans institution. Cuffs, collars and hems are fringed, frayed, beribboned, embroidered, buttoned, bowed and pleated. To top (and bottom) it off: sparkly brooches and little round-toe pumps.


And a lot of people agree that a "clear beaded stap completes the nouveau granny look so popular this season" but I can't find any pictures that claim to be nouveau granny.
caedmonstia said…
Good Heavens.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers