Shabby Chic

Okay, I thought I was going to limit myself to one post today on weird fashion trends, but I was minding my own business when suddenly Bam! A pop-up advertisment telling me to go Shabby Chic and get the style I've always wanted.

I'm having trouble just saying that without getting the sounds all mixed up. How could I even try to create the look and not expect to get it all mixed up?

The problem with walking the tight rope of what is in is that all you need is one little wobble in the wrong direction and you are completely out. One accidental dent, and you need to go through making equally sized dents at regular intervals. One unfortunate mar in the surface, and you have to get distructive with careful precision.

Comments

caedmonstia said…
Well, did they at least give you a picture to go on? Now you've got me curious since I must always stay on top of the latest trends. When I left the US, the "sexy sloppy look" was already on its way out. So now they want us to go shabby chic? If they sent a picture please post it so I can quickly rearrange myself.
slowlane said…
Go here for a look at shabby chic.

http://www.benefactions.com/acatalog/31515.jpg
Joi said…
It's funny: I have one fashionable roommate, two roommates who take no notice of fashion in any sense, and one roommate who likes some fashion, but doesn't care to be fashionable, per se (go Rachel!).

The problem with being fashionable is that you have to change your wardrobe every year! And someone else is allowed to decide what you should wear.

I say, enough of that! I shall decide what is fashionable for me, and I shall create it. :) So I buy a fashion magazine (I finally found a clean one!!) every month, and cut out some of the pictures for inspiration in creating my own stuff.

Be truly counter-cultural: make your own culture.

or

Pre-packaged culture is only good for yogurt. Make your own culture.
caedmonstia said…
Joi, thank you for your words of inspiration. I especially think the problem of having to frequently change your wardrobe is a vexing one. So, after some thought, I have oficially decided that from now on, my look will be "Shabby Granny". That takes care of all the problems mentioned, while still heeding the laws of fashion in a backhanded sort of way. When I perfect the look, I shall try to post a picture for all of you who want to swarm to my trend and follow suit.

Popular posts from this blog

Stone of Help

The Crazy Market

The Right Trousers